This $3,000 scholarship is awarded to Post-secondary students who have completed at least one year of post-secondary education, achieve an average GPA of 3.3 or higher and are still enrolled in post-secondary studies. Students must also be either a visible minority, or a recent immigrant to Canada, or both, as well as demonstrate community service to be eligible for this scholarship.
Award Value: $3,000
Application Opens: 15th July
Application Deadline: 15th September
Applying for: January Winter Semester
- Applicants must:
- be an Edmonton or surrounding area resident - the applicant or the applicant’s parent(s) must have resided in Edmonton or surrounding area during the previous 24 months
- have attained an overall average of GPA of 3.3/4.0 or higher
- be enrolled full-time in a post-secondary or apprenticeship program. (Full-Time is defined as 80% course load or higher)
- demonstrate community service & volunteer work of at least 200 hours within the past 12 months
- Averages are not rounded-up for scholarship purposes.
- All courses must be completed before starting post-secondary studies.
- Applicants must :
- Apply by 15th September
- Fill out application in full including essay questions.
- Upload two signed, current (less than one year old), reference letter (references from friends are discouraged and references from family members will not be accepted).
- Upload a statement of marks for most recent completed studies (Official transcripts are required. A photocopy or print out from a school website or report card is not acceptable).
- Strong applications will emphasize the applicant’s:
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Maturity and a commitment to their studies
- Motivation to be engaged meaningfully in their community and the world at large
- Students will be notified by email of the status of their application in early November.
- Once awarded, scholarship value will be sent directly to the student.
- Students must notify the Office of AREF of any changes to their application.
- Faxed, Scanned, or Mailed Applications are not accepted. Applicants must only apply online.
- Each page of the Online applications must be saved, and applications must be submitted in order to be assessed.