This scholarship is awarded to High School students in their final year of study who achieve an average of 80% or higher and are enrolled to pursue post-secondary studies. Students must also be either from a visible minority, or a recent immigrant to Canada, or both, as well as demonstrate community service, philanthropic values and leadership to be eligible for this scholarship.
Award Value: $1,000
Application Opens: 15th July
Application Deadline: 15th September
Applying for: January Winter Semester
- Applicants must:
- be an Edmonton or surrounding area resident - the applicant or the applicant’s parent(s) must have resided in Edmonton or surrounding area during the previous 24 months
- have attained an overall average of 80% or higher in five designated courses in Grade 12 as calculated from marks on a valid Alberta Education transcript.
- be enrolled full-time in a post-secondary or apprenticeship program. (Full-Time is defined as 80% course load or higher)
- demonstrate community service & volunteer work of at least 100 hours within the last 12 months
- Averages are not rounded-up for scholarship purposes.
- All courses must be completed before starting post-secondary studies.
- Designated Courses:
- Applicants must have an Average of 80.0% or higher in five of the following subjects:
- One of: English 30-1, 30-2 / Français 30, 30-2, and
- At least four of the following:
- Mathematics 31
- Mathematics 30-1, or 30-2
- Science 30
- Biology 30
- Chemistry 30
- Physics 30
- Social Studies 30-1 or 30-2
- Applicants must :
- Apply by 15th September
- Fill out application in full including essay questions.
- Upload one signed, current (less than one year old), reference letter (references from friends are discouraged and references from family members will not be accepted).
- Upload a statement of marks for most recent completed studies (Official transcripts are required at time of application. A photocopy or print out from a school website or report card is not acceptable).
- Upload proof of enrollment for post-secondary studies, if available, at the time of your application
- Strong applications will emphasize the applicant’s:
- maturity and a commitment to their studies
- motivation to be engaged meaningfully in their community and the world at large
- Students will be notified by email of the status of their application in early November.
- Once awarded, scholarship value will be sent directly to the student.
- Students must notify the Office of AREF of any changes to their application.
- Faxed, Scanned, or Mailed Applications are not accepted. Applicants must only apply online.
- Each page of the Online applications must be saved, and applications must be submitted in order to be assessed.